2017 Dodd Short Courses
January 29th - February 3rd, 2017
Hilton Orlando/Altamonte Springs Hotel
350 South Northlake Blvd
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701
In Memory of Glennon David Dodd, 1948-1991
Important Notes and Deadlines
- Online Dodd Short Course Registration is now closed. Online registration will open November 1st for FMCA Sustaining Members and November 7th for all other registrants.
- You may contact the FMCA Executive Director:
if you have specialized registration needs.
- A registration will need to be completed for each student attending the Dodd Short
- Courses will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Course limits will be strictly enforced.
You can request to be placed on a waiting list, if a course limit has been reached.
- You will need to select a payment method of credit card, check, or purchase order to complete
- Credit card payments will be processed on-line. Checks and purchase orders should be sent to: FMCA Dodd Short Courses - PO BOX 62315 - Fort Myers, FL 33906-2315.
- Early registration, and the associated rates, ends December 18th, 2016.
Late registration fees ($10.00 per course) apply beginning December 19th, 2016.
- Unpaid registrations will not be held beyond January 3rd, 2017.
- NO refunds will be made after January 3rd, 2017.
- For students who wish to attend the certification exam reviews (Course X‐1 and X‐2) and who have NOT
any other course, a $50 fee will be charged per review.
- Students who do not have a state issued license and/or are preparing for the exams cannot utilize the CEUs offered in 2017.
- The room block cutoff date at the Altamonte Springs Hilton is January 17, 2017. Hotel room reservations
is NOT handled by FMCA and must be made separately from your Dodd Short Course Registration. Hotel room rates for the 2017 Dodd Short Courses will be $109.00 a night.
- For the hotel to recognize your tax exempt status, you must
bring or fax your agency’s tax‐exempt certificate. Having the number written down will not be accepted; you must show the
- You will be able to print out a completed form showing your course information and
you will also receive an email confirmation of your course registrations upon completion
of the registration process.
Have an idea for a Dodd Short Course? Submit your Course Proposal
Glennon David Dodd was, for 10 of the 15 years that he was in
mosquito control, the Assistant Director of Indian River Mosquito Control District,
in Vero Beach, Florida. To those who knew him well, and for those who did not know
him, he was much more than an assistant director. He was the spiritual leader for
mosquito control in the mosquito control profession. He was the first to recognize
that mosquito control had to get into the employee training business. Glenn was
the force that got it started. He called upon his substantial intellect, his colleagues,
especially Jim Robinson of Pasco County Mosquito Control District and Bill Opp,
then with HRS/DACS and now retired from Lee County Mosquito Control District, his
other friends, and his future friends to organize and present several “courses”
in Vero Beach during the fall of 1984.
The six courses taught that year were more appropriately called group discussions
and they were about a variety of topics of interest to mosquito control such as
surveillance, larvicides, adulticides, application equipment and computers. The
participants were principally the directors and biologists of Florida programs who
sat around in a semicircle in various locations and “talked about things.”
What started as a simple idea has blossomed into one of the largest and, arguably,
the best sets of training courses for mosquito control in the world today. This
year over 25 courses are offered, from a half-day to several days in length. Each
year, those of us on the Dodd Short Course Committee ask ourselves if Glenn would
be pleased with what we are doing in his name.
Naming the courses for Glenn, after his sudden and tragic death in 1991, was not
simply a gesture of thanks and recognition of Glenn’s contributions. His name became
a constant reminder to us of the high ideals that Glenn personified. We hope you
find that the 2010 Dodd Short Courses described in this brochure meet your training
needs and expectations.
We think Glenn would be proud of this year’s offerings.